Thursday 2 February 2012

If to err is human...

...then I am truly Homo Sapiens!

I've made a mistake. A costly one. Back in November, I stopped following 4PA, just as a temporary measure. It wasn't as a result of awful performance, although standards had dropped from those I'd previously enjoyed. It was simply a case of there seeming to be a bit of a struggle within the tipster behind the service in terms of how closely to stick to the basic system bets and to what extent to rely on his own sources of information. I just got the feeling that suddenly, he was feeling his way a little.

So it was in this context that, taking on board lessons learnt the harsh way in the past, I drew a hiatus on following the 4PA bets with hard cash. After all, a winning service will win long term, so missing out on a month or two whilst ensuring things were settling down would be the best move to make. Or so I thought.

Sure enough, it looked like Mr 4PA was allowing himself to be guided a little more firmly by the basic system and at the turn of the year I was tempted to start backing the selections again. For some reason, I thought I would give it one more month. I think we can guess the rest, can't we? A fantastic month for 4PA with winners galore and points profit made for fun. So I have erred, and problem is I find I can't forgive myself either, so it seems I'm certainly human and nowhere near divine. I suppose we knew that already though.


Wayne, the brains and tipping expertise behind Northern Monkey, strikes me as being the sort of chap I would like to share a pint with. And it would be my shout too. What a decent bloke he is.

January hasn't been Wayne's finest month. To be honest though, he had to be due a downturn of sorts after the way he racked up the profits last year, especially over the last three months or so. Over the entirety of 2011, Northern Monkey was a model of consistency and the longer term roi is in excess of 20%. Despite this though, Wayne has rather generously extended memberships by 2-4 weeks by way of apology for January's losses, which let's face it, have been far from catastrophic. Well done that man, and Wayne, if you happen to read this and are ever in the North Cheshire area, let me know and I'll buy you that pint!


Sam at The Market Examiner has also been showing signs of being generous beyond the call of duty. No NH racing today so no bets, but a day added to membership. Apparently this is the way of it. So Sam, if you're ever in the area, let me know and I'll buy you a pint too.

*I'm beginning to detect a theme here. A good one mind, with beer involved.*

The serious point here though is that we really do seem to be in a time whereby reputable tipping services are prepared to go the extra mile when it comes to customer service provision, and it's good to see.


And so January is over, and what an anticlimax it proved to be. I'll post the figures below for anyone who is interested. No damage done, but a lot of effort getting bets on as always for no reward. Part of the game though, eh? And as my old Mum likes to say, if you keep putting the balls in the box, some you'll be able to drive to the cover point boundary for four. Or something like that...


January's Figures

Racing
Chasemaster: Staked 10.75pts (£860), -1.468pts (-£117.50), roi -13.66%
Northern Monkey Punter: Staked 24.666pts (£740), -11.041pts (-£331.24), roi -44.76%
On The Nose: Staked 29.75pts (£595), -15.812pts (-£316.25), roi -53.15%
The Market Examiner: Staked 69pts (£690), -3pts (-£30), roi -4.34%
The Sportsman Racing: Staked 4pts (£400), -0.687pts (-£68.71), roi -17.17%
Winning Racing Tips: Staked 13.9pts (£834), +2.635pts (+£158.10), roi 18.95%
Total: Staked £4,119, -£705.60, roi -17.13%

Sports
Football Elite: Staked 11pts (£880), +1.855pts (+£148.40), roi 16.86%
On The Oche: Staked 2.6pts (£208), +0.487pts (+£39), roi 18.75%
Skeeve: Staked 62pts (£1,240), +13.564pts (+£271.28), roi 21.87%
Strike Zone (h): Staked 19pts (£950), +2.69pts (+£134.50), roi 14.15%
The Football Analyst 7/22 (a): Staked 9pts (£360), +0.195pts (+£7.80), roi 2.16%
The Sportsman: Staked 0.75pts (£300), +0.265pts (+£106.35), roi 35.45%
Total: Staked £3,938, +£707.33, roi 17.96%

Total: Staked £8,057, +£1.73, roi 0.02%


That's a fine profit, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. 4PA doubtless had a good month because Tom Segal (aka Pricewise) was on fire during January…
    Rather than paying for what is little more than a glorified relay service, why not just buy the Racing Post on a Saturday and back Tom’s tips – or cheaper still just check out the best backed horses on Oddschecker, around 8:00 in the morning...!
    TVB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mate,

    You're not wrong in your assertion, but tbh, if I just wanted Tom's tips I'd be giving you a call each Friday night! lol!

    Seriously though, it's not quite that easy. When I made good money with them previously, a hefty section of profit was derived from the guy's own contacts, info, call it what you will. Undoubtedly the basic system is profitable and free to boot, but long term results show using the service makes more than the system. What I needed to see was a closer alignment between the two, which to be fair I did see in December, and yet left January alone. What does that make me?

    Keep it polite, eh, if you answer that last question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes you someone who wanted to see more than one month of improvement, to demonstrate it wasn't a flash in the pan !!
    I didn't appreciate that there was a significant difference between 4PA and the Pricewise tips - though in truth I've never studied 4PA that closey (I was just amazed that someone could sell a system based on the efforts of someone else !).
    With regard to alignment between me and Tom - it wasn't quite as close as I would have liked during January...!!

    ReplyDelete